Thursday, April 26, 2012

Creamy Bacon and Potato Soup

I know weather is crazy lately.  We actually woke up to 46 degree weather, here in Florida.  I got a little excited and planned the menu, while it was 46 degrees and found a yummy soup recipe.  I should have known better, because by the time I made it, it was not cool anymore.  There was a nice breeze, but that was about it!  The soup was still yummy.  I had everything I needed for it except bacon.  I love bacon, every once in awhile, but bacon is freaking expensive!  So we never get it.  But I splurged, ha ha.  I found the recipe over at tidy mom.

I just made a few adjustments.


Bacon and Potato Soup
5 medium potatoes, cubed.  ( I baked mine in the oven before hand)
8 slices bacon, crumbled. (I made mine in the oven for 25 minutes)
2-3 or 4 depending on what you like of bacon grease ( I mixed it with oil)
1 onion. chopped.
1 celery stalk, chopped.
1 clove garlic, minced.
2/3 c. flour
6 c. chicken broth.
2 c. half and half.
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. dried basil (this is a must)
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 c. parsley (I did not use)
1/2 t. hot sauce

garnishes:  I used cheddar cheese/Colby mix, chopped green onions and left over bacon. 

Take your bacon grease and put it in a big sauce pot.  I used a mix of bacon grease and oil.  add onion.  Now I don't like crunchy celery so I added mine with the onion.  After the onion is translucent add your garlic and cook for a minute.  Add flour.  Now at this point, I added a little more bacon grease.  Cook that for a couple of minutes.  This is your roux, you don't want a flour taste.  Add your chicken broth and let it thicken, or get slightly bubbly.
Add half and half and rest of ingredients.  Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. 

I cut my potatoes really big, so I mashed it a little bit in the soup. 

I thought the soup was yummy!  The dried basil really gave it that good taste!  Enjoy! 

Since I'm in the soup mode, I will be making a cream of mushroom soup today! 


*Allie 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...