Thursday, January 19, 2012

I am all Zucchini'd out!

I had bought a 4 pack of zucchini the other day.  What to do, what to do?  I have always wanted to make zucchini bread.  Finally got around to making it!  First off, you have to zest a lemon.  Couldn't find my zester!  Don't know how you could not find it!  It has a hot green handle, but I could not.  So off to chopping it finely  myself.  yuck.  So then I'm mixing it all together and I mix up the baking soda and baking powder measurements.  1/2 t. baking soda, I put in 1/2 t. of baking powder, + 1/2 t. baking soda.  I think that's why my bread came out so dense.  Still good but dense! (so while all this is happening, my daughter locks her bedroom door, so I have to wait for my husband to get up because he is better at picking locks them I am!) 

The outside was nice and crunchy.  Although it came out dense, it didn't stop me from eating two slices.....

Zoe on the other hand, was not a fan!

So while that was baking (took 55 minutes) I thought hmm...(that and I couldn't pack up Zoe's room like I had planned b/c we are still locked out at this point!) what else can I made with this zucchini.  I searched on pinterst and found this one recipe.  Then I changed it up b/c I did not have all the ingredients.

I think I over seasoned it, but it came out pretty tasty, and filling. 
Original recipe can be found here.

I'll share the "recipe" I did.  Its one of those recipes that you throw everything in but the kitchen sink.

  •  1 1/2 med. zucchini's, shredded
  •  1 carrot, peeled and shredded
  • 1/4 c. corn (left overs for us)
  • 3/4 c. of Bisquick
  • 1/2 c. egg substitute
  • 1/2 c. ricotta cheese
  • seasoning salt and pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • oil for frying
So basically I just threw all that stuff together and mixed.  I heated up the oil in a frying pan and threw about 2 T. of mixture in the oil and fan fried for about 1-2 minutes per side.  It's just like making a pancake.  Once it was done I drained it on paper towells.  I have to almost always have a sauce with stuff, so I quickly made a "remoulade".   Remoulade is a mayo based sauce (french), I guess mine can be considered tartar, but whatev's.  I mixed mayo with relish and lemon juice.  voila, instant sauce.


So I think both of these misses could be hits, with a little bit more tweaking. 

Has anyone experimented in the kitchen lately?  Any hits or misses??


*Allie
     


3 comments:

  1. You have to try fried zuchinni!! My mom makes it in the summer and it is so yummy!! Slice the zucchini into round slices. Dip in a milk/egg wash then into seasoned bread crumbs and pan fry. We dip it in soy sauce to eat...it's so yummy!! Or zucchini tempura...mix COLD water and flour together to make a batter about the thickness of crepe batter. Cut the zucchini into french fry like strips and dunk them into the batter then fry them. Yeah, we eat the tempura with soy sauce too LOL I have a zucchini bread recipe too that doesn't use lemon zest but it uses cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to make fried zucchini, I eat it at work all the time! that is next on my list! I think I might borrow your zucchini bread recipe......mine didnt like so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a zucchini-holic! We grow it in the summer time and I always have it with a ton of things. I'm going to try this fritter recipie though, sans jalapeno - I don't like spice very much :) I need your new addy for Valentine's day cards!!! Shoot me a text or a FB message!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...