Thursday, May 23, 2013

Southwest Chopped Salad

So, ever since I have started weight watchers I have been craving, craving salad.  Weird, right?  I should be craving sugar, chips, all that junk food.  Nope, it doesn't help that pinterest has all these yummy recipes out there!  So I found one for this southwest chopped salad.  So I had to try it.  I'm not big on cilantro, but let me tell you.  This dressing was divine! 


Yummy looking, right?  

The salad had greens in it, fresh corn (I had left over corn on the cobb), 1/2 cup of black beans, one orange pepper diced up, 1/2 a pint of cherry tomatoes halved, four green onions chopped, and then I topped it with 1 oz tortilla chips. This made a lot of salad, so when I put it in the recipe builder for weight watchers I put serving size 6, at 1 1/2 cups.  That would equal 1 point, for the salad.

Now the dressing is super green and made with greek yogurt.  Yum! 

This is the original recipe from the garden grazer.

Now for the delicious dressing! 

My version of creamy cilantro dressing:

an entire bunch of cilantro
1 lime
1 tsp. honey
1/2 low fat greek yogurt
2 garlic cloves
1/4 olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
dash of salt

I threw it all in the blender and viola.  Easy peasy.  I put this in the handy dandy weight watchers recipe builder.  It makes maybe a cup of dressing. I used two tablespoons on the salad.  3 points.  

So, really four points for this yummy salad is quite good.  I did add 3 oz. of chicken, so it bumped it up to 7 points total.  

Any other salad ideas out there?

~Allie

*I am in no way a spokesperson for weight watchers, nor do I know if these points values are correct.  I use the recipe builder on the weight watchers website that I input all the measurements of ingredients I use.  They do the configuring for me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...