Thursday, July 14, 2011

Turkey Burger anyone?

So I found this awesome recipe for turkey burgers.  I switched my family to ground turkey from ground beef a few years ago.  Its leaner and cheaper.  I usually make turkey loaf or Shepperd's pie.  But I found this recipe a few days ago and thought hmmm I already have one lb of turkey meat in my freezer why not go out and buy another pound.  So that's what I did, except I changed the recipe up a bit.  The original one called for lemon, mango chutney and parsley.  I switched out the mango chutney for cranberry chutney (I usually use this chutney with chicken thighs, orange and cinnamon), I used an orange instead of a lemon and used dried basil (only because the two stores I went to did not have fresh parsley, and I thought I had dried parsley at home....I did not, go figure). 
Must have your mise en place (french for everything in place).
Just chop up your celery, green onion and apple.  You can grate your apple like in the recipe above, I chunked mine and I think next time I will grate it because some of the chunks fell out while frying it up. 
Add the celery and apple to the pan and soften.  After a few minutes I added the green onion.
After that is done let it cool.  Combine your meat, Tabasco, salt, pepper, juice and zest from the orange and cranberry chutney.  (I should have used a little more chutney, I love that stuff!).  When the celery mixture has cooled just add it to the mix and combine it all together.  Its a wet mixture, so I formed my patties and put them in the fridge like the above recipe said.  I didn't leave it in for two hours, just maybe 20-30 minutes.
They look yummy and they aren't even cooked yet! 

What I did was fry it up a few minutes on each side.  Then I stuck them in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes.  You want to make sure these burgers are cooked to 165 degrees because it is turkey.  I then took some left over chutney and mixed it with mayo.  Yummo!  Put that on  the bun and added lettuce and the burger.  I could have made them prettier but last night was a tramatic night, so I did what I could hehe.  I also added provolone cheese to ours because well, we are cheese lovers.

I think they came out delish, you could really taste the basil, so I think next time I wont use that!  Just stick with parsely!  Here is my recipe.  I'm not one for measuring when I experiment, so I just added what I felt was good.

2 lbs. ground turkey (mine was 85/15)
1 1/2 apples, peeled, cored and diced (next time I will grate)
1 1/2 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1 green onion stem, chopped
oil of course for frying
1 orange, zested and juiced
2 T. cranberry chutney
Parsley to taste (I used dried basil, a few shakes)
1 t. tabascco sauce
1 t. black pepper
1 T. (scant) salt, I just used what I had

Sauce:
2 T. mayo
1 T. cranberry chutney
mix those two together, its delish. 

Enjoy!

*Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...